Friday, September 23, 2011

Fiction Friday: tales of my travels

I've been travelling since yesterday, when I caught an 8:30 ferry to Vancouver from Nanaimo. Mom picked me up and we then drove down to Bellingham, where Village Books is. As publishers, we had business there -- they have an EBM, and it's cheaper per page to print there than it is to print in Vancouver. And an excuse to come down to Washington is always nice -- do you know it's my first trip outside Canada since 2008, when I moved back up there from Hawaii? Ridiculous, I know.

So here I am in a hotel room in Everett, where it's way too warm, trying desperately to get out a few blog posts while I have steady access to internet and no interruptions. I also like my posts to appear in the morning, so it's my last chance. Mom is loading up the car, and we're heading down to Bellevue and Seattle proper today so I can meet an online forum friend (yay!) and because I have an appointment with a naturopath.

(Sidenote: the cleaning lady just came in here and saw me sitting naked on the bed, despite the no disturb sign on the door. Sigh.)

Then onto Village Books, where I can sit in the café and work on my computer while we wait for the proofs of our latest publishing masterpiece to come off the machine, before heading back up to Vancouver tonight.

I then get to spend two nights at my partner's which is always awesome.

Anyway, writing while traveling is a funny thing. It's sometimes easier -- especially if you've scheduled that travel time as a writer's retreat, which I'll have to do in the next year to Hawaii so I can finish Islands of Fire and Water. If you haven't, however, it can be harder.

Especially when Angry Birds is on your iPod, distracting you.

Next week I'll have more notes from the revision pile, I'm sure. Today, however, you get to have tales of my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment