Friday, April 27, 2012

SFFSat: Yarrow and Jules explore Mt. Impri further

Hello! I'm finally back for SFSat, and this week I have two snippets for you -- one today, one tomorrow.

I know, I know -- I'm awesome.

This week's Bellica snippet follows Yarrow and Jules' adventures on Mt. Impri -- after safely navigating past the first door, they explore what seems to be an ancient, long-abandoned city within the mountain.
Turned out it was the kitchens and the servants' quarters. After a quick search, they determined it was void of living things but, strangely, not food – the icebox was stocked full with unidentifiable meat, and there were even things like grains and such in the pantry. Yarrow felt that chill that had been her best friend since they'd arrived come back to say hello, and she tried to banish it by moving onto the next room. 
This room prompted a yell and throwing of her knife from Yarrow, and the steel blade hit the throne she'd aimed it at, clattering to the floor at the feet of the skeleton who sat and regarded them with empty eye sockets. There was a crown still on her head. 
"Congratulations," Jules said wryly as he walked around Yarrow, "you killed it."
That prompted a well-deserved smack on the shoulder.
Jules didn't respond as he walked to the throne and retrieved Yarrow's knife. Before he could walk back to her she'd joined him, staring at the long-dead Queen.
Join me tomorrow for the next bit of this scene!

Check out the other wonderful SFFSat participants HERE

18 comments:

  1. I think she just made sure the skeleton was dead...one never knows with dead things. I'd've done the same thing...while screeching my head off. Great snippet (I must read the book - downloaded it a while back).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? That's totally what Yarrow is doing. :)

      Delete
  2. Do NOT eat the 'unidentifiable meat.' Trust me. Who knows, that may explain the Queen's demise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...they do? And they do find out what it is? And it's gross but not poisonous?

      No, it's not people. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, wonderful snippet! Love the line about 'killing' the skeleton. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the skeleton bit! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now how did they know the skeleton was a "she?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feminine pronouns are neutral in Athering; so whenever they don't know the gender they say she or her. Same with referring to the troops as "women" instead of "men"; etc.

      Though they can pretty much assume that it was a she, because the skeleton was wearing a crown, and only women rule in Athering.

      Delete
  6. "Congratulations, you killed it." I love that line! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never eat food in abandoned cities.

    P.S. I love the tidbit about the skeleton in the comments. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Yay! He's honestly one of my favourite characters. I love writing him; I love reading him.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone! I hope you all come back tomorrow to read the next bit of this scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EEww, creepy place. I sure hope no one eats that meat!

    ReplyDelete